I have two super active little girls at home and keeping them entertained through out the day, does sometime get extremely daunting.
And as a mom, I’m constantly searching for super simple activities, also keeping in mind our tight schedule and budget. We can’t hop into the market every week to grab those harmful colorful dough! Since I let the girls occasionally help me in the kitchen. we started making this easy homemade play dough more often now. It’s super easy to make and fun to play with.
I haven’t used cream of tartar in this recipe which is why the dough may not last for over 4-5 months. But then I wanted to make something that’s simple and I wanted to be able to find all the ingredients off my cupboard!
So here’s what you will need:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (you can use any)
- 1/2 cup salt
- Food colouring
What you need to do:
- In a large bowl mix flour, salt and oil.
- Add desired account of food coloring, depending on the shade of dough you want to make.
- Knead it vigorously for a couple of minutes until all of the stickiness is gone. You may add a few drops of oil if it’s still sticky.
- You will need to make a perfect dough that has just the right consistency. And that’s it! You are done!
Believe me when I say this, both my girls thoroughly enjoy making it. And every morning they are out of the bed, they run to their play area to grab their play dough.
I currently store our dough in zip-lock bags but I will fetch some air-tight containers on our next trip to the supermarket. This dough can last for over a month. And I can only think of those at least 30 no-fuss hours a month, which is why this play dough is totally worth those the hard work for me! 😉