The journey of pregnancy is indeed an amazing one, and then there are some people, who sometimes can say things that upset, scare or just downright annoy any mother-to-be. So before you put your foot in your mouth and make a pregnant lady cry, take a look at these things you should probably never say to someone who’s expecting.
- Was it planned? Or did it just happen?
- Are you sure you’re not having twins?
- You’re planning to breastfeed?? “You should really breastfeed, at least for a year”
- You are going for a natural birth, RIGHT?”
- Are you sure your due date is correct??? “You look like you’re going to have the baby tomorrow”.
- How much weight have you gained?
- Can I touch your belly?
- “Get your sleep now because you definitely won’t be getting any once the baby arrives.”
- Anything about your horrific labor and delivery (or others’ you may have heard about).
- “Don’t worry, you’ll lose all the baby weight if you breastfeed”.
- “Your hair looks so thick and shiny. It’s all going to fall out after the baby is born, though.”
- Will you get back to your work after the baby comes?
- Can you even imagine the L&D pain?
- Are you really craving pickles and ice cream?
- Do you plan to have more kids?
You might be thinking these are things a reasonable person would never say to a pregnant woman about her body, but I’ve heard them all nonetheless. I’m sure every women gets to hear many such questions and fairly tries to get through all of them. But why bother someone who’s already going ninja with her own troubles??
So the next time you see a pregnant woman and start judging the size of her belly, big or small, girl or a boy, instead just say, “Congratulations on the baby. You look so beautiful.”